Memory requirements (was: Re: Fedora 16 Alpha i386 does not install in VMWare)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Aug 30 04:15:16 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 22:02 +0200, drago01 wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 9:55 PM, Brian C. Lane <bcl at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 04:15:37PM -0700, alan at clueserver.org wrote:
> >>
> >> In both cases I had 2 gigs of ram. Should not be a memory issue.
> >
> > That is more than enough. Please file a bug(s) and include the logs
> > from /tmp/*log
> >
> > Memory usage during install also depends on what the packages being
> > installed do in their pre/post scripts. selinux is a big example of
> > this, causing a large spike as it is installed.
>
> "SELinux Enhancements. SELinux policy package now includes a pre-built
> policy that will only rebuild policy if any customizations have been
> made. A sample test run shows 4 times speedup on installing the
> package from 48 Seconds to 12 Seconds and max memory usage from 38M to
> 6M. In addition to that," [1]
>

> 1: http://danwalsh.livejournal.com/45414.html

Yes. The reason why that work has been done is because everyone kicked
up a stink about anaconda using too much memory, so the anaconda team
looked closer into what was taking up so much memory, found out selinux
policy installation caused quite a significant chunk of it, and told Dan
about it. None of this is news to anyone actually involved in the
relevant development teams =)

this topic has really been done to death on this list and many others.
anaconda team is aware of the memory use issue and is working on fixing
it. this selinux change is one of the fixes.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey