floppy support

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 30 06:36:52 UTC 2011

On 2011/08/30 15:06 (GMT+1000) Chris Jones composed:

> I can't see any reason for floppies these days considering their extreme
> price per data unit as opposed to usb memory.

For some people the price of floppies is a sunk cost, or was never a cost at
all (e.g. me, who has over a hundred empty ones acquired 5, 10 or 20 years
ago, some at 0 price).

Unlike USB chips in most budgets, each floppy is cheap enough to be
disposable after one use or dedicated to one small file.

Floppies have enough room on them to write down something legible about their
content (e.g. DOS boot with FDISK; Memtest86+ v.whatever; BIOS flash for xyz
brand AMI BIOS; etc.) which won't interfere with insertion or removal from
its reader.

Floppies are large enough to be much less likely than a USB stick to get lost
between couch cushions or fit through a pocket hole.

Not everyone uses hardware with installed and functional OM, bootable USB or PXE.

A rude installer might unset a bootable flag or fail to install boot code in
the MBR of the only available internal storage, leaving the primary boot
device unbootable, and a floppy the only available device to boot from
without opening up the machine, if opening up is even any option at all.

IOW, poor as they are, floppies still have both advantages and uses.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/