floppy support (was: [HEADS UP] remove ddate(1) command from rawhide)

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Aug 30 11:50:11 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 03:33:04 +0200,
  Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:

> No, it means that (unless this was recently fixed) you have to modprobe it
> manually (e.g. from rc.local) because nothing bothers trying to modprobe it
> for you anymore. IMHO, this is really broken, but the bug reports about it
> were ignored or declared NOTABUG.

There was significant discussion about this issue on the mailing lists
and Kyle thought he had a good solution to having the floppy drive
recognized when it was there and not adding long delays to the boot up
for people with incorrectly configured (your supposed to disable the floppy
drive in the bios when you don't have one) or broken bios. I am not sure
what happened with the implementation of the solution.

> Similarily, analog joystick support (yes, those joysticks you plug on the
> MIDI ports of those old sound cards) also has to be modprobed manually.

I also have a gamepad which is like a joystick and need to do
modprobe analog to get it recognized.