floppy support (was: [HEADS UP] remove ddate(1) command from rawhide)

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Aug 30 13:23:12 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 14:37:16 +0100,
  Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 08:09:51AM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 14:26:39 +0100,
> >   Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Or just add floppy-support and analog-joystick-support packages that
> > > include appropriate modprobe.conf fragments, and have documentation that
> > > instructs the user to install them.
> >
> > To make this more precise, woulf the appropriate way to do this would be to
> > perhaps put floppy.conf or joystick.conf in /etc/modprode.d?
> > With a post install script to run modprobe manually?
>
> That seems like it'd work.

I'll need to test it. Right now I use explicit modprobe commands in
rc.local, which isn't good for packages. I looked at modprobe.conf
documentation and it doesn't seem like it uses those files to determine
what to load, only what to do if it is loaded. So it may be that udev
is really the correct place to do things.

I'll investigate that. Once I know the right thing to do, the packaging
should be pretty easy.