floppy support (was: [HEADS UP] remove ddate(1) command from rawhide)

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Tue Aug 30 19:26:06 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-30 at 21:13 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Simo Sorce wrote:
> > It seem much more intelligent to add a package owners of floppies can
> > install, so that 99.9% of the others do not have to wait forever for no
> > reason.
>
> This goes against the principle that Fedora should Just Work on any hardware
> it encounters if at all possible.

I guess you need to define 'Just Work', and 'if at all possible'.

Making boot hang for long periods can easily be seen as 'Not working
properly' and therefore make default floppy support 'not possible'.
At least this is the reasoning I see and agree with.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York