floppy support (was: [HEADS UP] remove ddate(1) command from rawhide)

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Tue Aug 30 20:01:17 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-30 at 14:55 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Simo Sorce <simo at redhat.com> said:
> > Making boot hang for long periods can easily be seen as 'Not working
> > properly' and therefore make default floppy support 'not possible'.
> > At least this is the reasoning I see and agree with.
>
> How many systems are there that "hang forever" when the floppy module is
> loaded?  I have never seen that happen, on systems with or without
> floppy drives, yet you seem to be saying it happens on vast numbers of
> them (99.9% in an earlier message).

Don't put words in my mouth that I have never said please.

I said:
A) 99.9% of users do not needed the floppy anymore
B) I said hang for "long periods" and not "forever", where here "long"
is of course relative to modern machine boot times.

A and B are not related of course, and that was clear from the context.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York