floppy support

Chris Jones chrisjones at comcen.com.au
Tue Aug 30 23:30:02 UTC 2011

The argument that some older hardware do not have USB support and require
floppy support is moot.

I have 3 PCs in total. 2 desktops and 1 file server. The 2 desktops run
Ubuntu/Linux and the server running BSD. The server is an old desktop system
that has had various upgrades and various transformations throughout its
life. But when I go back to its origins, it will be 10 years old now. And
even in its early beginnings, it still had full usb support. And effectively
having no 'real' use for floppies. Even though it did come with a floppy
drive ootb.

I see it all the time. "Some older hardware still requires floppies..." It
just seems like a generic defense statement for the fans of floppies and for
those who insist on using them for god knows what reason.
Any hardware that is true to that statement must be at least 15 years old
surely!
And for the cheap price of PCs these days, whether it is building your own
or grabbing an oem system, just upgrade to something that does have full usb
support.

USB sticks may be small and easy to lose, correct. But I don't know how many
times I've put several of mine through the washing machine and they still
continue to work. Try putting a floppy disk through the washing machine and
then try reading the data and see what happens.
And as far as losing them, they always turn up again. And for permanent
loss, I really don't care as I encrypt all my data when using usb sticks
anyway. And if I don't find it, for $10 I can easily get another 8GB anyway.

Regards

Chris Jones

[image: linux.png]