How can we make F17 be able to boot on Macs (with or without reFit)

Andreas Tunek andreas.tunek at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 18:48:53 UTC 2011

2011/12/2 Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>:
> On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 12:08 +0100, Andreas Tunek wrote:
>> As you all might know, it is currently impossible to boot the default
>> install of F16 on Macs.
>
> I'm not entirely sure that's correct. We had several reports of
> successful EFI installs of F16 in the relevant bug reports at RC stage.
>
> What are you basing this apparently authoritative declaration on?
> --

As far as I know, you can only install if you use the nopgt kernel
parameter or change the partitions after the install. I could of
course be wrong, but nothing I found contradicted these facts.

On my own iMac, when I tried to do preupgrade from the working F15 to
F16 the system would not boot into F16. I the tried to install the
live CD and I could not get that to boot either. I tried both using
reFit and using the whole disk.

Has anyone managed to install F16 on a Mac without using any extra
options such as nopgt or changing partion flags after install?

/Andreas