A software center for Fedora

Giovanni Campagna scampa.giovanni at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 22:44:33 UTC 2011

Il giorno ven, 02/12/2011 alle 22.33 +0100, Kevin Kofler ha scritto:
> Giovanni Campagna wrote:
> > Seeing enough positive feedback on this (and seeing that after all, it
> > works pretty well on my machine), I started an official Fedora 17
> > feature. You can find it at
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SoftwareCenter
> >
> > Comments of course welcome, before I move this on to be ready for
> > wrangler.
>
> See:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Talk:Features/SoftwareCenter
>
> This feature needs to be modified to clarify the KDE situation:
> * Ubuntu's GNOME-based Software Center is not suitable for the KDE spin.
> * Kubuntu's apt-based Muon Software Center is not suitable for Fedora.
> * Apper, which we currently ship, supports software center functionality
> just fine, if it is provided at the distribution level.
> So in the KDE spin, we'd stick with Apper, we'd just have application
> installation functionality (finally) enabled in Apper.

That's fine for me, you can keep Apper. The Software Center would be in
the distribution, just not installed by default, in the same way as
apper can be installed on gnome now.

> The feature as currently worded, wanting to replace Apper and to change
> wordings in the K Menu, is a no go. If you really want to propose replacing
> Apper, you have to bring this up in a KDE SIG meeting, but I'm fairly sure
> it will be shot down. (I definitely DON'T want to replace Apper with a GNOME
> app!)

I understand, and that's fine, if apper is as powerful (in terms of
search, primarily) as software-center.

> Likewise, replacing gnome-packagekit must be brought up with the GNOME and
> PackageKit maintainers.

Well, the main PackageKit maintainer (upstream and for fedora) seems to
be Richard Hughes, and given he was the one to first propose
infrastructure for an app installer (and the plan was to replace
gpk-application with a new app written from scratch), I don't think
he'll be against this.

Giovanni