A software center for Fedora

Giovanni Campagna scampa.giovanni at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 15:13:37 UTC 2011

Il giorno ven, 02/12/2011 alle 16.37 -0800, Toshio Kuratomi ha scritto:
> On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 09:39:31PM +0100, Giovanni Campagna wrote:
> >
> > packagedb seems an interesting project, for storing ratings and reviews,
> > and it could be a candidate to replace the Ubuntu backend. Is there some
> > documentation somewhere? Does it provide some webservice API (REST,
> > JSON, SOAP, anything)
> >
> It does.  Many of the URLs that you can use to view information in a web
> browser will return the equivalent information as JSON data.  Not all of the
> URLs are fast enough for what you may want to do with them now, though -- we
> may want to craft some custom methods that give you the information you need
> faster or in bulk.  Another option for some of the things is to have users
> enter it into the packagedb but to export it via the repodata.  This was
> done for the tag information for instance.  From reading one of Richard's
> review request bugs, it looks like people wished to do the same thing with
> icons but there were possible legal problems with that approach (the legal
> problem seemed to cover distributing the icons in either the repodata or
> a package :-( ) so you'd probably need to pioneer a different approach here.

Uhm...
curl -H "Accept: application/json"
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/applications/Terminal results in
500 Internal error.
Also, packagedb seems to be coalescing different packages and apps in
one (same example: konsole, gnome-terminal and xfce4-terminal are all in
the same page).

As for repodata, you mention tags, but I can't find them here, in
primary, comps or other (and I don't see anything else in mirrors).

Lastly, for icons, if legal says it's inacceptable to have a
package/repodata blob with all of them, we could download them from
packagedb on demand, where apparently you have them. I doubt that
though, as other distros are packaging them without problems.

> There's also a good chance that we'll encounter some pieces of data that
> a software center would like to use but that we aren't storing or making
> public at the moment.  If it's already present in the packages or something
> that users would contribute we can look into how to make that available for
> the software center to use.
>
> This will take coding time, however, so it would be something that you (or
> whoever is interested in working on backend support for the software center)
> would need to be willing to sink some time into.

That's exactly why I'm here: to offer my time to build a great app
software installation story for the next Fedora.

Giovanni