Using plymouth during hibernation

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Sun Dec 4 17:10:12 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-12-04 at 16:53 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 04, 2011 at 07:36:40PM +0530, Tirtha Chatterjee wrote:
>
> > Can Plymouth be modified so that it shows up during hibernation and
> > wake-up too? In that case, can anyone guide me on how to do it? I am
> > ready to do the coding, but may need some guidance here and there.
>
> It can't. Hibernation stops all userspace programs.

Well then, there's the first step defined :-)

OP: Looks like you'll need to modify the kernel as well as Plymouth!

("It can't" is rarely the full answer when you have the source code for
everything; "It's way more work than anyone's been willing to do so far,
especially for that level of benefit" is usually the long version.)

-Chris