A software center for Fedora

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 04:59:48 UTC 2011

On Sun, Dec 04, 2011 at 07:08:11PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > Yep.  This is a pseudo-bug.  Because of the way people have been
> > interpreting the spec for .desktop files, all of these provide .desktop
> > files where the name is "Terminal".  So they're all placed on the same
> > page. This could be fixed in the .desktop files (Judging from past
> > experience, I think that's a losing effort).  Or someone could code up
> > some other ways of extracting and reconciling this information.  There are
> > other things that could be enhanced in this.  For instance, there's
> > currently no extraction or recording of information about applications
> > that lack a .desktop file.
>
> Konsole actually has:
> Name=Konsole
> GenericName=Terminal
> as it's supposed to by the spec. You need to fix pkgdb: Name ≠ GenericName.
>
> Of course, there's also stuff (such as the other 2 terminals involved)
> stuffing generic names into Name, which needs to be fixed…

Looking at the pkgdb page, it looks like kdebase is only showing up for the
"Terminal" app for F-12.  Looking at that old package, there is a .desktop
that contains Name=Terminal there but it's not konsole:

./usr/share/kde4/apps/kappfinder/apps/System/Terminal/aterm.desktop:Name=Terminal

I'm going to be looking into getting rid of the EOL release builds next week
so this will probably cease to be a problem but I do wonder if this is
a bug.  Is kappfinder just using the .desktop format to keep its own
database?  Should the pkgdb import script just scan for files in
  regex:  /usr/share/applications/.*\.desktop

Let me know if that's the case and I can probably find where the code is
scanning for .desktop files and fix it.

-Toshio