application icon locations and cache update

Eric Smith eric at brouhaha.com
Mon Dec 5 18:48:48 UTC 2011

I just learned in a package review about the requirement to update the
icon cache:

     http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:ScriptletSnippets#Icon_Cache

I'm checking my other packages that have icons.  I discovered that one
of my packages installs its icon into /usr/share/pixmap, rather than
under /usr/share/icons/<something>.  This raises two questions:

1)  Is putting the icon into /usr/share/pixmap OK?  I think I copied
this from another package, and certainly there are other applications
that have their icons there.  If putting the icon into /usr/share/pixmap
isn't the best practice, how do I know which subdir of /usr/share/icons
to use?  Is there a document that defines the purpose or requirements
for the various subdirs?

2)  If it is OK to put the icon into /usr/share/pixmap, do I still need
to update the icon cache?  As I recall, I did have a great deal of
hassle with the icon when I was creating this package, probably due to
not updating the cache.  The instructions on the page linked above only
describe this for subdirs of /usr/share/icons, though perhaps the same
script would be applicable.

Thanks!
Eric