How can we make F17 be able to boot on Macs (with or without reFit)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Dec 5 18:49:39 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-12-03 at 17:54 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 03, 2011 at 06:19:27PM +0100, Andreas Tunek wrote:
>
> > Yes, and the question becomes, can we make this easier in F17?
>
> Yes, we can do EFI installs.

We could also blacklist all Apples to use MS-DOS partitions if you do a
BIOS install. It's in fact trivially easy - given where the blacklist is
in anaconda's code, it naturally applies only to BIOS installs, not EFI
installs.

So really all we'd need to do is add a single line to the Lenovo
blacklist, most probably. And if Apples can't boot GPT disks via BIOS
and Apple has no intention of fixing this, as seems to be the case, it
probably makes sense to do so.

Anaconda team, WDYT? Should I open a bug report to have the blacklist
extended?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey