application icon locations and cache update

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Mon Dec 5 21:25:31 UTC 2011

Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> writes:
> On Mon, 2011-12-05 at 10:48 -0800, Eric Smith wrote:
>> 1)  Is putting the icon into /usr/share/pixmap OK?

> Not really. That dir is obsolescent, effectively. I'm not sure if we'll
> ever manage to throw it away, but if you have the opportunity to control
> icon deployment for an app, it's really best to use the /usr/share/icons
> hierarchy, as it provides a lot of advantages over the 'dump a single
> picture in one huge directory' model.

Now I'm really confused, because I received the opposite advice a couple
of years ago, cf unixODBC.spec:

* Fri Jun 13 2008 Tom Lane <tgl at redhat.com> 2.2.12-8
- Install icons in /usr/share/pixmaps, not /usr/share/icons as this package
  has historically done; the former is considered correct.

Digging further, the reason I changed it is because Red Hat's rpmdiff
tool whinged about the previous placement.  Somebody is not on the right
page here.

			regards, tom lane