application icon locations and cache update

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Dec 6 10:23:28 UTC 2011

Tom Lane wrote:
> Now I'm really confused, because I received the opposite advice a couple
> of years ago, cf unixODBC.spec:
>
> * Fri Jun 13 2008 Tom Lane <tgl at redhat.com> 2.2.12-8
> - Install icons in /usr/share/pixmaps, not /usr/share/icons as this
> package has historically done; the former is considered correct.
>
> Digging further, the reason I changed it is because Red Hat's rpmdiff
> tool whinged about the previous placement.  Somebody is not on the right
> page here.

If you dumped the icons directly into the toplevel of /usr/share/icons,
that's most definitely NOT compliant with the icon theme spec, and that'll
explain why the tool complained about it. Icons in /usr/share/icons MUST be
installed according to the icon theme spec. /usr/share/pixmaps is the
directory where you can just dump an image file, but that practice is indeed
deprecated (the main reason being that that simplistic approach cannot
support multiple sizes; it also doesn't allow icon themes to supply themed
versions of the icons).

        Kevin Kofler