Tips on how to handle tmpfile changes

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Wed Dec 7 16:13:24 UTC 2011

Paul Howarth wrote:
> Simplest way is just to include the directory in the RPM in the same way
> as you would if it was anywhere else in the filesystem. That caters for
> operation immediately after installation, and the tmpfiles script can
> re-create it on reboot.

The /run/vnstat directory must also be owned by the vnstat user since
vnstat no longer runs as root. I'll pass this along to the maintainer as
a solution.

> Is it actually necessary to do this? The default pidfile location
> appears to be /var/run/vnstat.pid and since on F15 /var/run is a symlink
> to ../run, the pid file should end up in the right place by default,
> should it not?

When the vnstat service attempts to start as the vnstat user it will be
unable to create /var/run/vnstat.pid (a.k.a. /run/vnstat.pid) and will exit.