P2P Packaging/Koji Cloud

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu Dec 8 17:33:38 UTC 2011

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 15:25:18 -0800
Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> Well, yes, but only because you shifted the entire terms of the thread
> without telling anyone else. All of the above - about how the idea was
> to build packages with untrusted build dependencies in trustworthy
> places - may have been perfectly clear _to you_, but it was not the
> idea that started this thread. This thread was specifically about
> creating a 'cloud', containing random contributor's machines, for
> doing builds, and several people suggested that might be 'safe' for
> scratch builds but not for 'release' builds.

I didn't shift the terms. I've been consistent. Random machine
instances from volunteers are a non-starter.

> You seem to have changed the terms of debate rather considerably with
> your _own_ idea, which you introduced into the thread, but which
> clearly was not actually very similar at all to the idea of the
> person who actually started the thread, Denis Arnaud. The extent of
> the difference between what _he_ was thinking/talking about and what
> _you_ are thinking/talking about has only been made clear in this
> last post of yours.

I answered Denis immediately at the first post and he concurred it was
a problem. I like to think the conversation evolved as we discussed.

> The other thing that's confusing is your use of 'wherever' and
> 'anywhere' when talking about where the builds take place:
>
> "ec2 or rax or wherever"
> "scratch or personal chainbuilds could be built in ec2 or rax or
> anywhere w/o an issue"

> ec2 or rax, I'm fine with. 'anywhere' or 'wherever', I'm not fine
> with. I'm guessing, now you've explained things a bit better, that by
> 'anywhere' or 'wherever' you really mean 'in any reasonably
> trustworthy cloud', but that's not what you actually _said_, nor was
> that meaning particularly apparent.

I actually said in any cloud instance where you have a contractual
(read financial) relationship. I made that pretty clear.

-sv