MATE desktop environment (GNOME 2 fork)

Peter Lemenkov lemenkov at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 06:24:42 UTC 2011

Hello

2011/12/9 Eric Smith <eric at brouhaha.com>:
> I've submitted review requests for the first two packages for the MATE
> desktop environment, mate-doc-utils and mate-corba.  MATE is a fork of
> GNOME 2.  I expect that it will take me a few months to package the
> remaining MATE packages.

Mate is  unmaintained (e.g. "maintained" by unqualified enough) and
doesn't attract any significant interest from the community except few
blog-posts from newcomers and distrohoppers who underestimate the
necessary amount of work required to fork Gnome. Thus I believe this
could be no more than a constant source of troubles. I'd rather help
others with transition to Gnome3, as some active members of our local
community (Russian Fedora) does.

> Would anyone like to see the MATE desktop environment as an official
> feature of Fedora 17 or Fedora 18?

No. That's just my opinion but you asked for it.

--
With best regards, Peter Lemenkov.