MATE desktop environment (GNOME 2 fork)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Dec 9 10:34:55 UTC 2011

Michał Piotrowski wrote:
> What do you think about Trinity Desktop? I liked KDE3. Is there a
> chance to include this DE in Fedora?

Please NO! We worked hard on making kdelibs3 apps work well in KDE Plasma 4
sessions. Trying to support Trinity sessions too is going to make a big
mess. Another big problem is that current Trinity isn't even
binary-compatible with KDE 3.5 anymore, which makes its kdelibs not suitable
to run existing KDE 3 binaries, even though (last I checked) they didn't
bump the sonames. (I think renaming all libraries like MATE is doing is
actually not that bad an idea if you have no clue about binary compatibility
and are going to horribly break it.)

> Unlike the MATE, TD is well maintained

Hahaha, LOL, good one!

http://vizzzion.org/blog/2010/05/trinity-and-the-challenges-of-continuing-kde-3/
http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2011/11/the-grass-has-always-been-greener-on-the-other-side-of-the-fence/

(The comments in the latter also discuss the binary compatibility issues.)

> and there is a development community.

LOL, a "community" called Timothy Pearson…

Don't make me laugh.

        Kevin Kofler