MATE desktop environment (GNOME 2 fork)

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 12:12:48 UTC 2011

On 12/09/2011 11:58 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>> one
>> >
>> >  How can you be worried about maintainability given that we already have
>> >  unmaintained and poorly maintained packages in the distribution?
> When you have problems, the solution is to fix it.  Not add more.

Agreed but given that we already ship unmaintained either upstream or
within the distribution components then I fail to understand why adding
couple of more to the already existing pile is going to make any
difference it's not like the current situation would be going from bad
to worse since we already are at worse from my pov...

My personally view on his proposal is that he should rather be spending
his time and energy creating the required extension that bring the
functionality he seeks from Gnome2 to Gnome3 and an theme to go along
with it if he also wants the old look and feel then create a spin with
that rather then being doing it this way.

If he's willing to do the necessary legwork to make this work I dont see
why he cant.

JBG