Fedora 16 Beta on Power ready for testing!

Phil Knirsch pknirsch at redhat.com
Fri Dec 9 12:50:38 UTC 2011

Long time in the making, but at long last after 6 weeks of hard work the
Fedora Secondary Arch Team for Power finally managed to get the Fedora
16 Beta release done!

Available from mirrors now here:

https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/16/ppc64/

under releases/test/16-Beta/

or directly from here:

http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora-secondary/releases/test/16-Beta/

A lot of the issues we still had for Alpha have been fixed since then.
The most noticeable ones are:

  * Firefox-8 works now on 32bit and 64bit out of the box
  * Gnome3 Desktop no more segfaulting
  * Qt4 not segfaulting all of KDE anymore
  * Various anaconda issues (serial console, garbled fonts to name a few)
  * Filesystem encryption password check working now
  * Numerous rebuild failures

More details about this Beta release can be found here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_16_Beta_PPC_release_notes

and we do have an official release announcement as well here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F16_Beta_PPC_release_announcement

I want to thank everyone involved in making this happen, it's been a
pretty long stretch with quite a few hurdles, but we finally got the
first big milestone done towards the goal to get a Fedora 16 on Power out.

We're working full steam now to get GA done by 21. of December.

As usual, the whole team can typically be found on the #fedora-ppc IRC
channel on FreeNode and via our email list:

And we have our Secondary Arch wiki with (decently) updated information:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/PowerPC

Thanks & regards, Phil

--
Philipp Knirsch              | Tel.:  +49-711-96437-470
Supervisor Core Services     | Fax.:  +49-711-96437-111