MATE desktop environment (GNOME 2 fork)

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 13:44:14 UTC 2011

On 12/09/2011 05:42 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>>> already have
>> When you have problems, the solution is to fix it.  Not add more.
>
> Agreed but given that we already ship unmaintained either upstream or
> within the distribution components then I fail to understand why adding
> couple of more to the already existing pile is going to make any
> difference it's not like the current situation would be going from bad
> to worse since we already are at worse from my pov...

It is not useful to generalize. There are lots of software components
which aren't actively maintained but are useful to have in the
distribution and all distributions have them however a desktop
environment is a lot of work to maintain (as seen for instance in
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1901) and if upstream is not active, then
any potential needs to be aware of this before volunteering this
feature.  If someone really wants to still do it, there is nothing in
Fedora stopping it from happening.  I was merely raising a potential
issue to think about in advance.

Rahul