DWARF 4

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Fri Dec 9 20:22:20 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 01:16:42PM -0700, Jerry James wrote:
> Are there known obstacles in the way of replacing -g with "-gdwarf-4
> -fvar-tracking-assignments" in our %{optflags}?  I'm eager to be rid
> of gdb telling me that the one value I really have to know to diagnose
> a crash has been optimized away.  Are there bits of the toolchain that
> can't handle DWARF 4?  Will debuginfo grow significantly in size?

For -OX -g (for X != 0) -fvar-tracking-assignments is the default
and in F16+ GCC also -gdwarf-4 is the default (with -fno-debug-types-section
, as .debug_types is still not supported by many tools and has lots of
unsolved problems even on its own, but otherwise you get all the DWARF4
goodies and in F16 also a bunch of new extensions).
F16 gdb doesn't support DW_OP_entry_value and typed DWARF stack extensions
I think, you need to wait for F17 for that.

	Jakub