gdbm license change

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Mon Dec 12 20:22:29 UTC 2011

On 12/12/2011 08:15 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> To me, the easiest solution for you is probably going to be dropping ypserv
> from the distribution.  But if that's not possible, then attempting to
> convince the gdbm upstream to switch back to GPLv2+ would likely be
> a worthwhile investment.

One thing worth looking into would be to build ypserv with qdbm which
according to the License tag is LGPLv2+.

See attached patch -- it is just for demonstration purposes
(ugly/fragile) but it does build successfully in my Rawhide mock.  I
haven't tested it beyond building at all, I don't even use ypserv.  If
it works, perhaps ypserv upstream would be interested in properly
integrating support for qdbm as a third alternative to gdbm and ndbm.

Possible upgrade caveat from qdbm-devel's hovel(3) man page:
"Hovel cannot handle database files made by the original GDBM."