Summary/Minutes from today's FESCO meeting (2011-12-12 at 1800 UTC)

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Mon Dec 12 20:29:49 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-12-12 at 22:26 +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On 12/12/2011 10:16 PM, Ken Dreyer wrote:
>
> > There was some discussion a while back about preventing certain
> > extensions from being uploaded to the lookaside cache. Could ".patch"
> > be added to that list?
>
> Please don't do that.  In my opinion the lookaside cache is the proper
> place for patches for which the Fedora package is not the upstream, for
> example ones downloaded from web SCM or other URLs.

This is wrong. Patches should never be in the lookaside cache, because
it is very difficult to view them. Patches in git can easily be glanced
at in gitweb. The lookaside cache is only really viewable by cloning the
package and doing a 'fedpkg prep'.

Putting patches in the lookaside cache is essentially hiding them, and
that's poor behavior in an open-source project.