P2P Packaging/Koji Cloud

Mo Morsi mmorsi at redhat.com
Tue Dec 13 12:48:13 UTC 2011

On 12/07/2011 06:20 PM, Denis Arnaud wrote:

> As a side note, rather than using Snap (and Augeas, and...), we (in my
> department) tend to prefer Chef (http://www.opscode.com/chef/), which
> has got a broader scope, and allows much more complex configurations
> and automation tasks.
>
> Denis

Chef, like puppet, is a great tool. But it is somewhat different than
Snap, Augeas, etc.

With chef, puppet, etc. The end user sets up centralized recipes which
describe what systems should look like, how they behave, etc.

With Snap, you have an existing system which you would like to use as
the basis to replicate at some later point (either locally or elsewhere).

In any case, slightly off topic, but Snap is now in Fedora (well
updates-testing, will be pushed to updates at the end of this week,
sooner if I can get +1 karma). Plus alot more features have gone in /
are being pushed, including much expanded documentation, a test harness,
and the start of the ability to migrate snapshots between hosts (eg
backup an Ubuntu system, restore on Fedora).

Stay tuned for more updates!
   -Mo