Systemd and fstab

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Dec 14 13:01:02 UTC 2011

On Wed, 14.12.11 12:25, Andrew Price (anprice at redhat.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> From the systemd.mount(5) man page:
>
> "Mount units may either be configured via unit files, or via /etc/fstab"
>
> This makes me wonder - to what extent will systemd replace fstab in
> future Fedoras? Will fstab disappear in favour of systemd mount
> units?

I see no reason why we should drop fstab. I only see reasons against
dropping it, for example in the fact that glibc kinda hardcodes its
existance in the setmntent() API.

There are a couple of things you can do if you configure a mount unit
via systemd, instead of fstab, which you can't do with fstab (for
example, defining manual dependencies), which is why we added support
for that, but thtat doesn't mean it's supposed to replace fstab.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.