nss_db

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 11:37:36 UTC 2011

.On 12/16/2011 09:26 AM, Mark R Bannister wrote:
> If this isn't fixed now, in Fedora, then it's likely to cause more pain when it
> finally reaches RHEL.

Fedora does not have any bearing on what downstream distribution based
on Fedora be it Red Hat or something else do.

So even in the unlikely event the project decide to carry a patch for
this and go against our upstream mantra downstream distributions of
Fedora might just as well decide to drop that patch to be better in line
with what upstream is doing.

I would gestimate that F18+ will become RHEL7 which will give you a full
year to adapt your system to those changes ( a year or so ) and at the
same time I would recommend if you are in position to do so to
re-evaluating the use of those Solaris in your infrastructure.

If you cant prepare your infrastructure for these changes and you cant
convince upstream then RHEL6 will be supported for years to come.

We took a hard look at what benefits we had continuing to use Solaris in
our infrastructure when Oracle bought Sun and we came to the conclusion
we gained absolutely nothing ( it has zfs and dtrace which arguable are
the only benefit it brings over GNU/Linux ) and in the long run it would
only hurt us continuing to use it in our infrastructure  so we decided
to drop the use of Solaris altogether ( Having to rely running critical
system on operating system that has uncertain future at best and risks
vendor lock in with cost that is associated with that not that good..).

Unfortunately in that process we stopped buying Sun hardware as well
which I personally was fond of and cant do nothing but praise it's
reliability thou others might disagree in that regard as is the general
story with all HW.

JBG