nss_db

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Fri Dec 16 23:01:34 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 01:40:59PM +0000, Mark R Bannister wrote:

> I sense an attitude of "not my responsibility" here, and a wider problem with the
> way that Linux is developed.  Jared told me in this posting
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-December/160499.html that
> Fedora have practically no sway in upstream development decisions, even those
> that affect critical components such as glibc.  Now you're telling me that when
> you collectively make decisions about what goes into Fedora, you have no regard
> for what the knock-on effect is for downstream, not even how that might impact RHEL.

Fedora has its own leadership, its own developer base and its own
priorities. Fedora is allowed to go its own way with casual disregard
for RHEL. I see this as a good thing - without the room to explore,
there's no way that we'd produce something that resulted in RHEL
shipping with exciting new features. But it does mean that sometimes
decisions are made that others feel aren't appropriate for RHEL - in
that case it's something that needs to be argued either with upstream or
with your Red hat support contact.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org