(re)introducing - fedora-review - tool to help with package reviews

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Mon Dec 19 08:32:57 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Brendan Jones's message of Fri Dec 16 00:32:24 +0100 2011:
> On 12/15/2011 09:57 PM, Brendan Jones wrote:
> > On 11/21/2011 02:14 PM, Stanislav Ochotnicky wrote:
> >> Hello fellow devs,
> >>
> >> I am sure quite a few of you have done some reviews and thought "Hey,
> >> a,b,c and d could be automated. For E I could use some more
> >> information that can be automatically gathered". Some of you even
> >> wrote your own tools to do some of these things.
> >>

> > Hi Stan,
> >
> > great idea. Will try to use this prior to any forthcoming reviews.
> >
> > I find the most time consuming task in the review process is the license
> > check. I use a combination of find/head/grep commands to try and
> > determine if some of the source files have differing licenses to the
> > stated one in the spec. None of my methods guarantee 100% license
> > detection, given the sheer number of licenses out there, although if we
> > could consolidate all of the methods reviewers use for this we would
> > have a nifty tool indeed.
> >
> > Not sure if this is something which should be part of this package or
> > another entirely?
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Brendan
> >

> The guys on the packaging list enlightened me on the existence of
> licensecheck from rpmdevtools. From my brief tests it does a good job
> but have not used it against cornercases

Hi,

I planned to add running of licensecheck already, so now I created a
feature request in our trac[1]. We certainly will not reimplement
it. We will use it though :-)

I can tell you right now that cornercases will never be caught with
tools like this. Licensecheck only looks at headers/comments, whereas
licensing depends on many things and can be quite confusing. I am sure
that rpmdevtools maintainers would be happy to accept improvements
though.

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/FedoraReview/ticket/22

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>