2.6.41.5-3 - Disable Intel IOMMU by default.

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Mon Dec 19 14:33:19 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-12-17 at 01:51 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
> how is the following changelog-entry to understand?

Well the changelog entry says:

> * Thu Dec 15 2011 Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com>
> 2.6.41.5-3 - Disable Intel IOMMU by default.

So I would assume that means that the Intel IOMMU is disabled by default
now.

If what you're asking is "why", I'd hazard that it's because either the
hardware or the driver are buggy, so it's worth protecting people from.
Which I can personally attest to, since we've had to fix the graphics
driver's interaction with IOMMU a couple of times now and it's still not
perfect.

> can this introduce this old KB of VMware?
> http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2269

Not that this is a vmware support forum, but I'm pretty sure that kb
article says that disabling the IOMMU is a workaround for an issue.  So
I'm not sure what you're worried about.

- ajax