Canonical Will Remove Java From Ubuntu

Dr Andrew John Hughes ahughes at redhat.com
Thu Dec 22 11:40:20 UTC 2011

On 10:41 Thu 22 Dec     , Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 09:17:15 +0000
> Andrew Haley <aph at redhat.com> wrote:

> > > So, what is the root cause of (infrequent, but persistent) alarms
> > > about incompatibility between OpenJDK and proprietary JDK?
> >
> > To know for certain I'd have to trawl all the bug reports, but they
> > seem to boil down to web plugin incompatibilities and assuming a
> > particular layout of the installation.  With regard to the plugin,
> > it's much more compatible now, but we still have occasional problems
> > with proprietary applications that make incorrect assumptions.  It's
> > particularly difficult with banks that have applications we can't even
> > try.  Oh, and we do have bugs sometimes.  ;-)
>
> At $WORKPLACE I use a Java app (via javaws) - EMC NetWorker Management
> Console - that won't work with OpenJDK (it pops up a username/password
> window as expected but doesn't then pop up the main app window once the
> username+password have been entered), whilst it does work with
> Sun/Oracle java 6 and 7. I would much rather use OpenJDK but I haven't
> a clue how to track down what the problem is, knowing next to nothing
> about java.

While OpenJDK is mostly the same codebase as the proprietary Oracle JDK
(and, in fact, is the reference JDK for 7), the plugin and javaws are
not part of OpenJDK.  Sun never released the source code for these
and they aren't part of the compatibility test suite (TCK).

The packages in Fedora and other distros are thus an independent implementation
developed primarily by developers at Red Hat in a project called IcedTea-Web:

http://icedtea.classpath.org/wiki/IcedTea-Web

Fixing incompatibilities between this and the proprietary implementation is
a matter of finding issues and doing our best to fix them.  In this, the
help of users is of great importance and we'd appreciate bug reports at
http://icedtea.classpath.org/bugzilla, with as many details as possible.

As Andrew Haley implies, there are some issues where we can't reproduce the
fault.  Your case would appear to be one of them, as we would not have a
username and password to enter into the app.  This is also true of many
banking sites.