gsmartcontrol, gparted problems with userhelper and X credentials?

Eric Smith eric at brouhaha.com
Fri Dec 23 07:44:23 UTC 2011

Recently my package for gsmartcontrol was approved, and it is now in
Fedora 16.

I was using Fedora 14 on my desktop system when I did the packaging
work.  I did test it on a Fedora 16 system before submission.  Since
then I've done a fresh install of Fedora 16 on my desktop.  Now if I try
to launch gsmartcontrol from the Gnome Shell, I get the prompt from
userhelper for my password, but it fails to run.  From the command line,
the same thing happens, but at least it shows the error message
"Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0".

Doesn't userhelper pass the X credentials?  I'm sure this was working
for me on Fedora 14, and I don't remember configuring anything special.

I thought I'd see how gparted deals with the same issue, and find that
on my system gparted gives exactly the same behavior.

Is there something else I need to put into the gsmartcontrol spec to
make this work properly in F16?

Thanks!
Eric