libpng mass rebuild status, 2011-12-06

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Thu Dec 29 23:07:02 UTC 2011

Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com> writes:

> After yesterday's rebuilds, there remain 271 binary packages from 232
> source packages that still require libpng-compat.

This is a bit late of course, but I have just upgraded to xbmc from
rpmfusion-rawhide which required libpng15. I allowed yum to pull in
dependencies from rawhide, so any dependencies on libpng should be taken
care of.

Unfortunately not.

As an example, take gnome-session (which I upgraded explicitly in an
attempt to fix the problem):

# rpm -q gnome-session
gnome-session-3.3.3-1.fc17.x86_64

# rpm -q --requires gnome-session | fgrep -i png
(no output)

# ldd /usr/bin/gnome-session|fgrep -i png
	libpng12.so.0 => /usr/lib64/libpng12.so.0 (0x00007fbd0a0c7000)

A lot of packages suffer from the same problem; they depend on libpng
but the RPM does not require libpng.

/Benny