Some thoughts on Audacious in Fedora

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 18:25:32 UTC 2011

As the Fedora 14 update of Audacious from 2.4.0 to 2.4.3 has not been
smooth at all and is still annoying users, who need 3rd party plugin
packages which still haven't been pushed, the following consequences are
arising IMO:

Fedora 13

I'm offering Audacious 2.2 (audacious-2.2-16 and audacious-plugins-2.2-38)
in Fedora 13 to anyone interested in taking over. In other words, consider
Audacious in Fedora 13 semi-orphaned.

In my point of view, it works well enough that it doesn't need an upgrade
to 2.4.x. Though, a lot has changed in the 2.4 series, and certainly there
are additional bug-fixes included. If to be upgraded in Fedora 13, this
would need the cooperation (and extra-work) of 3rd party plugin package
providers. Special precautions are to be taken as not to repeat the
problems we've run into with this recent update in Fedora 14. Whether
Fedora 13 is "new enough" with regard to all dependencies remains to be
examined by whomever. I believe that users with interest in later software
ought to upgrade to Fedora 14.

Fedora 14

Even before a strong RPM dependency in 3rd party plugin packages is
available to prevent breaking of decoder plugins, I have created a custom
repository for Audacious 2.5-alpha1 - which btw breaks the Plugin API
again and requires actual code changes and not just rebuilds:

  http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/mschwendt/audacious-2.5/fedora-audacious-2.5.repo

This is not only for users to take a sneak peek at Audacious 2.5 development,
but also to emphasize that the dependency on 3rd party plugin packages can
be problematic.