rawhide woes

John Reiser jreiser at bitwagon.com
Thu Feb 3 21:50:42 UTC 2011

> Thinking it might be easier to install a new system, I first
> tried the latest nightly, desktop-x86_64-20110130.16.iso,
> but that has its own problem:
>
>   "Install to harddrive" fails with "not a live image"
>   http://bugzilla.redhat.com/672265

I was able to compose a DVD of today's rawhide by using pungi
and fedora-install-fedora.ks from package fedora-kickstarts.
I did a successful Fresh Install by Customize Now, delete package 'gnote'
from GNOME detailed packages, proceed.
It boots, but fails firstboot because the X11 server does not start.
Fix by "useradd <desired_username>; passwd <desired_username>"
(use shell on VT2: <Ctrl><Alt><F2>) then disable firstboot
by editing /etc/rc.d/init.d/firstboot and inserting "exit 0".