Preferred & Startup applications gone?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Feb 4 07:52:55 UTC 2011

Adam Williamson wrote:
> it's a design feature, we are told. the intent is that applications
> should offer the option to set themselves as the default, instead of the
> desktop providing a central config point.

To the GNOME developers (Adam, I know you are just the messenger):

This is very broken. You cannot expect non-GNOME applications to support
setting themselves as the default in GNOME. (For example, if you want to
use, say, Konqueror as your default browser, how would you set that?
Konqueror obviously does not support GNOME preferences.)

Plus, we have seen where leaving this to the applications leads to on
Window$: applications fight for being the default and the user never gets
asked! Instead, merely running an app will change his/her file associations,
leading to a ping-pong effect. Please do not head down that road!

        Kevin Kofler