rawhide woes

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Fri Feb 4 08:51:25 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 03:09 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2011/02/04 01:26 (GMT-0500) Jon Masters composed:
>
> > On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 18:04 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
>
> >>  I tried to net (minimal) install 40 hours ago and got no initrd and thus no
> >>  boot. Culprit was less not installed. I made a working initrd via chroot and
> >>  yum install less. Still when done, ethX cannot be found, so I have no network
> >>  except via chroot, and even then after installing X and KDE, yum gives errors
> >>  about installed packages not actually being installed.
>
> > Can you run:
>
> > $ /sbin/ifconfig -a
>
> > And let us know if you are seeing differently named devices, or if they
> > are simply outright missing? Thanks.
>
> If you had asked 30 or more minutes sooner I could have, but I installed
> again and got a much bigger nearly unbootable mess trying to install more
> than minimal. Anaconda installed 660+ packages, then aborted before setup
> finished, without installing any of Grub. I can boot off other installed
> Grubs, but only to single, and if I do ifconfig -a from runlevel 1 the only
> result is multiple screens of segfault info. Possibly
> http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/F/anaconda.ifcfg.log from the earlier install
> has what you want. Logs from the 1AM install are also in
> http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/F/ .

(replaced anaconda.ifcfg.log with anaoconda.ifcfg.txt when looking)

Looks like your system is attempting to name devices according to PCI
slot. What is the hardware that you are running?

I doubt it'll be possible to debug the network issue further without
some kind of minimally working install. FWIW, I bought a dedicated cheap
netbook to test rawhide since I don't want this hassle anywhere else -
means stuff breaks, but my desktop is happily running Fedora 13 :)

Jon.