[Guidelines Change] Changes to the Packaging Guidelines

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 05:02:40 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 05, 2011 at 10:52:48AM +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On 02/04/2011 07:18 PM, Tom Callaway wrote:
> >
> > A new section has been added to the Packaging Guidelines concerning the
> > proper packaging of tmpfiles.d configurations and directories:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Tmpfiles.d
>
> That page notes that tmpfiles.d is not supported in EL-5 or older.
> However briefly checking my F-14 box, F-14 updates-testing and f14
> branch in initscripts git I get a feeling that it is not supported in
> F-14 and older either (I don't have access to an EL-6 box to check if
> it's supported there).  Is it going to be?

Good points.  I've clarified::

"""
tmpfiles.d is a service provided by both systemd and upstart in Fedora 15
and later for managing temporary files and directories. In this guideline we
mainly concentrate on how it is used to populate /var/run and /var/lock. In
Fedora 15 and later, /var/run and /var/lock are tmpfs filesystems. As such,
they are created empty on every reboot. For files intended to be placed into
those directories, this should normally not pose any problems. For
directories, however, we often need to create the directories ahead of time.
This is best done using the tmpfiles.d mechanism that both upstart and
systemd share.

EPEL difference
  Like Fedora releases older than 15, EL-6 and older does not support
  tmpfiles.d.
"""