Rawhide is annoying me!

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Sun Feb 6 22:41:49 UTC 2011

On 02/06/2011 01:38 PM, David wrote:
> On 2/6/2011 3:48 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 05, 2011 at 18:01:58 +0000,
>>    "Paul F. Johnson"<paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Any help on fixing these issues, please let me know - they're both
>>> driving me mad!!!!!!
>>
>> metacity and gnome-panel seem to be getting started as a fallnack when
>> gnome-shell isn't installed now. So refreshing from an up to date mirror
>> will probably take care of this for you.
>>
>> Otherwise:
>> Login using gdm (the GUI login program).
>> Use ctrl alt F2 to get a vt.
>> Login as the same use as above.
>> Run:
>> export DISPLAY=:0.0
>> metacity&
>> gnome-panel&
>> logout
>> Then us ctrl F1 or ctrl F7 (depends on where your X session ended up) to get
>> back to your X session. You should have a panel when you do.
>

> Really? So can we 'assume' that this will be automagic for Joe/Jane
> Average_user when they upgrade from a previously working just fine
> Fedora release using Gnome 2.x?

Well...  this is one of the things we want to get out of the GNOME 3
test days.  If you aren't getting either a shell or fallback mode, we
need to know what hardware you're using so we can make sure it's handled
appropriately.  Filing a bug with a smolt profile would help with that,
or check out the GNOME 3 test day page and enter your data there.