Rawhide is annoying me!

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Feb 7 04:34:37 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 06, 2011 at 23:12:06 -0500,
  David <dgboles at gmail.com> wrote:
> 5800 GTX card to work properly. The Linux drivers do not work as they
> should. For me. And something about the version of Xorg and this, or a
> combination of theses, makes major problems for me. Broke my desktop and
> the general Gnome 'expected to work things'.
>
> No one else has these problems? Maybe. More than likely 'no one else'
> *yet*! What for now? After the release? Best wishes.

I agree that video driver support should be a higher priority in Fedora.
I waste a lot of time in rawhide because of video driver regressions.
Unfortunately it would take a long time for me to get good enough at video
drivers and dropping what I work on now to help out there doesn't see to
be a good idea.

> Do as you wish of course. I would suggest that you offer this as a
> option. A 'try this' and if it works *great* but if it blows up get
> easily back this way.

The gnome 3 introduction could have been smoother. At the least some better
help on what to do, as there were quirks for people already running rawhide.
In general this has been a pretty sucky rawhide for me, but I really needed
to use it to work on ogre and the lzma live image stuff.

> I appreecaite all of the work that you people do. Really. But there are
> times that I disagree with the marketing paths you take.
>
> The 'fallback' IMO should not be that but be a 'try this' with the
> 'fallback' defaulted if a failure happens.

While I am not a fan of gnome 3 so far, I think that making it the default
does fit with the Fedora development model.