Rawhide is annoying me!

David dgboles at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 05:03:18 UTC 2011

On 2/6/2011 11:34 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 06, 2011 at 23:12:06 -0500,
>   David <dgboles at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 5800 GTX card to work properly. The Linux drivers do not work as they
>> should. For me. And something about the version of Xorg and this, or a
>> combination of theses, makes major problems for me. Broke my desktop and
>> the general Gnome 'expected to work things'.
>>
>> No one else has these problems? Maybe. More than likely 'no one else'
>> *yet*! What for now? After the release? Best wishes.
>
> I agree that video driver support should be a higher priority in Fedora.
> I waste a lot of time in rawhide because of video driver regressions.
> Unfortunately it would take a long time for me to get good enough at video
> drivers and dropping what I work on now to help out there doesn't see to
> be a good idea.

For some reason Fedora has serious problems with my older CRT monitor
that is connected to my test machine. Fedora see 'nothing' while another
distro that shall be nameless sees 1600x1200 but not the maker. Since
Fedora removed system-config-display I can no longer get a good 2D
resolution and it takes real drivers for that. Also the Linux drivers do
not control the GPU speed or the cooling fan speed. And that does not
surprise me either. I do not expect them to do that.

>> Do as you wish of course. I would suggest that you offer this as a
>> option. A 'try this' and if it works *great* but if it blows up get
>> easily back this way.
>
> The gnome 3 introduction could have been smoother. At the least some better
> help on what to do, as there were quirks for people already running rawhide.
> In general this has been a pretty sucky rawhide for me, but I really needed
> to use it to work on ogre and the lzma live image stuff.

All of that *I* understand I have 'tried' development Linux install for
8-10 years and   broken, stopped working, is crap, is an expected thing.
This, however, without an opt-in or at least a very easy 'OMG it is
killed!! Click-here [] to fix' is going to create a world of grief.

.
>> I appreecaite all of the work that you people do. Really. But there are
>> times that I disagree with the marketing paths you take.
>>
>> The 'fallback' IMO should not be that but be a 'try this' with the
>> 'fallback' defaulted if a failure happens.
>
> While I am not a fan of gnome 3 so far, I think that making it the default
> does fit with the Fedora development model.

Again not a problem for me. i can fix this. But as long as those that
can not fix this are not run off to other distributions. Or back to Windows.

--

  David