Rawhide is annoying me!

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 14:20:54 UTC 2011

On 02/07/2011 12:29 PM, David wrote:
> "steam powered technology". This is pretty much what I was talking about
> here. My 'real' machine, the one that I use for work, is modern within
> 12 months. My 'made from taken out parts' machine is not. As I said I
> can deal with that.
>
> But there are others in the Fedora Community, no offense meant to anyone
> here, that are not in a position to deal with the 'latest and greatest
> eye-candy Desktops. First came KDE 4.x. And now come Gnome 3. At least
> the 'fancy fluff' in KDE is easily disabled. It sounds like Gnome 3 can
> not. Is that true?

Well I'm pretty sure you can force Gnome3 in compatibility mode ( worst
case scenario remove mutter/gnome-shell that I believe should suffice )
but if you want too but it should not be necessary since it should
fallback automatically to that mode if your HW does not support Gnome
Shell but I'm pretty sure that compatibility mode will not give you the
same end user experience ( it did not for me when I hit it playing
around in rawhide it looked like this [1] ) as you have with gnome 2.x.
and eventually in the long run I'm pretty sure they will remove that
backwards compatibility altogether.

> There are always users on the Fedora Users list with older equipment
> looking for help. What is your answer to them when they discover that
> their 8-10 year old computer is 5 years too old when it is the best that
> they have? Or can afford? Go buy a new computer? Or will it be - Go
> away? That would be sad.

Any particular reason you refuse to accept XFCE and LXDE as alternatives
to run on old hardware it is after all part of their target user base
and those users should simply be directed their way...

> Do as you wish. I am sure that you will. But IMO the default should
> work. Or the fallback should be auto-magic with a polite explanation to
> the user of what just happened.

It should if not do as Christopher mentioned and remember bugs that
don't get reported wont get fixed...

"If you aren't getting either a shell or fallback mode, we  need to know
what hardware you're using so we can make sure it's handled
appropriately. Filing a bug with a smolt profile would help with that."

Not a bad idea providing a polite explanation which asks users to
upgrade their hw or refer them to use alternatives to Gnome such as XFCE
and LXDE which might be better suited to run on their old hw..

JBG

1. http://bugzilla-attachments.gnome.org/attachment.cgi?id=180036