v4l1 (linux/videodev.h) and libv4l

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Feb 9 08:11:45 UTC 2011

Hi,

several of the build failures in Rawhide are due to the removal of v4l1 from
the kernel, which manifests itself as a missing <linux/videodev.h> header.
(I think there was a thread about that on this list already, but I can't
find it now.)

My questions:
* Couldn't v4l1-only apps be made to work with minimal porting effort
through libv4l's libv4l1compat, without v4l1 support in the kernel?
* libv4l's libv4l1compat itself also fails to build due to a missing
<linux/videodev.h>. It obviously needs the #defines there to emulate the
API. Should libv4l ship that header now?
* It's quite embarassing to have libv4l be one of the packages failing to
build due to a kernel v4l change. Why wasn't this change coordinated with
libv4l?

        Kevin Kofler