Preferred & Startup applications gone?

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Feb 9 13:10:27 UTC 2011

On Monday, February 07, 2011 03:51:42 pm Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 08:52 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Adam Williamson wrote:
> > > it's a design feature, we are told. the intent is that applications
> > > should offer the option to set themselves as the default, instead of
> > > the desktop providing a central config point.
> >
> > To the GNOME developers (Adam, I know you are just the messenger):
> >
> > This is very broken. You cannot expect non-GNOME applications to support
> > setting themselves as the default in GNOME. (For example, if you want to
> > use, say, Konqueror as your default browser, how would you set that?
> > Konqueror obviously does not support GNOME preferences.)
>
> There's no GNOME preferences involved. Make sure Konqueror sets itself
> as the handler for x-scheme-handler/http (and https) and you're done.

Ok,
I take a look how to support it in Arora - as it's going to be regression,
people were asking for Gnome preferred apps support, it's now upstreamed even...
As Arora should be Freedesktop.org browser, not tied to any of DEs, I'll try to
fix it.

Actually upstream looks quite dead now but breaths sometimes.

PS: for now, I'm just removing Gnome support completely.

Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>

Office: +420 532 294 275