Backported gtk3 for F14 available

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Thu Feb 10 21:28:44 UTC 2011

> Hi,
>
> to allow porting applications to GTK+ 3 and testing them with a current GTK+
> 3 on Fedora 14 (the stock 2.90.5 is quite old, from before the theming
> changes, among other things), I have prepared packages of the latest gtk3
> (2.99.3) for Fedora 14:
> http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/kkofler/gtk3-f14-backport/
>
> Some notes:
> * WARNING: This repository will REPLACE YOUR SYSTEM VERSION OF glib2
>   (2.26.0) with a newer stable version (2.28.0). glib2 is also used by many
>   other things, including gtk2 and even (for event loop integration) qt. It
>   is supposed to be backwards compatible, but if there are any problems: You
>   have been warned!
> * The gtk3 package has introspection disabled, because the
>   gobject-introspection in F14 (0.9.3) is too old, the required version
>   (0.10.1) is not backwards-compatible, and I haven't managed to make gtk3
>   build with 0.9.3 when I tried. (By the way, to the gtk3 maintainers, you
>   should fix gobject_introspection_version in gtk3.spec, it still says
>   0.9.3, but the sources actually require 0.10.1.)
> * The packages in this repository are signed with my GPG key, as found on:
>   https://www.calcforge.org/RPM-GPG-KEY-calcforge
> * Only glib2, gtk3 and their subpackages are provided at this time. Anything
>   higher in the GNOME 3 stack is NOT available, and the versions in F14, if
>   any, are likely not to work with this gtk3. Again, you have been warned.
> * This repository is NOT endorsed or supported by Red Hat, the Red Hat
>   Desktop Team nor the Fedora GTK+/GNOME packagers. Use at your own risk!

Interesting idea. Note that I've _just_ released the stable GTK+ 3.0.0.
We could think about updating the gtk3 package in F14 to 3.0.0 if that
is useful for people. We had essentially abandoned this and a few other
packages in F14 after GNOME 3 was delayed to F15, and nothing in the
repo should depend on it...
Of course, there is the slight risk of updating glib to a newer major
version, but an extended updates-testing stay could certainly reduce the
concern.