Mass Rebuild and Mass branching status update

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 18:28:42 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 11:52 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Dennis Gilmore wrote:
>
>> On Friday, February 11, 2011 04:16:44 am Christoph Wickert wrote:
>>> On IRC you said it is ok to just push a build. Do I now need to submit
>>> them through bodhi?
>>
>> yes you need to push them though bodhi.
>
> I think this process could really use improvement. There are many packages
> which failed to build due to the recent RPM and GCC changes and the
> extremely recent v4l change. Requiring the fixed builds to all go through
> Bodhi is really unhelpful. Why can't we go back to the old (pre-NFR) process
> of having F15 be self-populating until Beta (i.e. what used to be Preview)?
> As I pointed out to Jesse when NFR was originally implemented, we don't have
> to throw out NFR (nor any essential part of it) to implement that at all.
> We'd still keep the early branching and Rawhide moving on towards F16. (We'd
> also keep the fact that F15 is feature-frozen now, of course; that would
> have been the case even pre-NFR.) We'd just have to let dist-f15 work like
> Rawhide (for Koji/rel-eng purposes) until the Beta Freeze, and start using
> Bodhi only then.

What we need to do is to ensure major breakage changes such as a mass
rebuild are actually done a little while before branching to give
people the ability to fix their packages and quickly get them in. I've
been travelling for a chunk of the mass rebuild so haven't had the
chance to fix alot of my breakages. We had the same problem last
release with the tagging and mass breakage due to a python change. It
becomes a little painful.

Peter