Procedure to push a package causing broken deps to f15?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Feb 14 17:35:54 UTC 2011

On 02/14/2011 06:18 PM, Tom Callaway wrote:
> On 02/14/2011 11:58 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> What is the procedure to push a package, which currently is causing
>> broken deps in f15 to f15 as fast as possible?
>>
>> Though bodhi offers a "push to stable", it seems to ignore this and
>> converts it to "push to testing".
>>
>> Are we supposed to wait the usual package update delays for f15
>> packages, as well, even if they are such kind of critical as broken
>> package deps?
> If you're fixing a chain of dependencies, you can request a buildroot
> override to build the chain, then push them all as a single update.
>
> It's not exactly what you asked for, but it is better than one update at
> a time.
Correct, that's not what I asked for.

I was looking into fixing the 10-15 perl-packages, which have made it
into current f15, even though they carry broken deps. Waiting the usual
8-10 days of delay is not helpful for such cases, because they will
cause f15 to remain broken for at minimum this delay time (Which in case
of dep chains, can easily evolve to several weeks [1]).

Ralf

[1] A similar consideration applies to fixing bugs in F13/f14, when the
bug fix candidate pulls in a lengthy dependency chain (not uncommon with
perl-modules).