really strange ext4 behavior

Ric Wheeler rwheeler at redhat.com
Tue Feb 15 15:12:44 UTC 2011

On 02/15/2011 05:52 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 02/15/2011 04:51 AM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>> There is no real best-practice tuning without workload details;
>> without that, "defaults" is best practice.  :)
>>
>> (except for ext3, where, for data integrity with a volatile writeback
>> cache, defaults + barriers=1, since that safe default was never accepted upstream)
> Why isn't it the Fedora default?
>
> Rahul

Excellent question - we probably should flip it over in fedora to the safe default.

Historically, there were times that applications got fsync happy (like firefox)
and basically stopped working when barriers were enabled (only because they were
waiting for the fsync to actually do something).

I believe that we have exposed most of this kind of thing by now after years of
default ext4 use so this should be mostly resolved,

Ric